Olson Engineering has a full-time opportunity for an entry to mid-level Instrumentation and Control Systems Engineer to work in the Bridge City, TX office on an array of multi-discipline engineering projects in the petrochemical industry.
The engineer will perform engineering and design tasks and calculations under guidance of one or more Senior Engineers on assigned projects. The engineer will be responsible for producing a wide variety of engineering deliverables and providing design oversight and guidance within assigned projects as necessary. A drive to develop quality safety-minded deliverables that adhere to engineering best practices, engineering standards and client technical requirements is a must. This challenging yet rewarding opportunity will expose the engineer to a wide range of instrumentation and control systems technology. For those willing to put in the effort, this will be an excellent opportunity to learn valuable skills and grow your technical knowledge.
The engineer will work as part of a project team consisting of engineers and designers from multiple disciplines (depending on project needs) to develop front-end loading (FEL) and detailed engineering (DE) design documents including piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs), scopes of work, plans, loops, demolition packages, instrument indexes, cabinet layouts, wiring diagrams, installation detail drawings and network/system architecture and engineering documents including instrument specifications (control valves, flow, temperature, pressure, level, analyzer, etc.), material requisitions, control systems configuration scopes of work, IO lists, control narratives, control systems (PLC, DCS and SIS) equipment specifications, cause and effect diagrams, logic diagrams, test procedures, control systems hardware layouts, etc.
Experience with NEC, ISA, NFPA70, OSHA, and IEEE codes and standards and AutoCAD is a plus.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Perform in a team environment.
- Be proactive regarding Safety.
- Be receptive of feedback from engineers, designers and supervision.
- Frequently take field visits to plant or refinery-type facilities.
- Learn company and client policies and apply them to daily tasks.
- Display willingness learn and communicate both within and outside of discipline team.
- Support of and coordination with the Engineering Lead, Project Engineer and Engineering Supervisor shall be required for ongoing project reporting and project development support.
Education & Experience
Entry Level to five (5) or more years of cumulative relevant experience.
An engineering degree from a four-year accredited university is required.
- Excellent organizational skills are needed.
- Fundamental engineering and design skills.
- Applicants should be familiar with commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures used in Instrumentation and Control Systems, as well as basic principles used in other engineering disciplines, including electrical.
- Good written and verbal communication skills are a must.
- MS Office: familiar with creating and editing tables, reports, emails, and pdfs.
- Able to understand P&IDs, processes and how they can affect instruments and controls requirements.
- Familiar with common control systems documentation such as Cause and Effect Matrix, IO lists, Interlock diagrams and Control Systems Specifications.