Controls Engineer with demonstrated expertise in the field of Controls Engineering with I&E knowledge in chemical and petrochemical plant settings to work in one of the Olson Engineering offices on an array of engineering projects.
Engineer shall perform design tasks and calculations independently and should produce creative engineered solutions. Engineers are responsible for providing for all engineering needs of a project for his/her respective discipline and should be an expert in best practices, engineering standards, and technical requirements. The Controls Engineer should also provide mentoring to other engineers and routinely check calculations of others.
Engineer will develop detailed hardware and infrastructure design documents and drawings including control cabinets, I/O drawings, wiring design, installation drawings, and network drawings with assigned design team. Experience with NEC, ISA, NFPA70, OSHA, and IEEE codes and standards, and CAD experience in 2D MicroStation or AutoCAD drawing is expected.
Responsibilities and Duties
Engineers are expected to:
- Perform in a team environment.
- Be proactive regarding Safety.
- Be receptive of feedback from designers.
- Frequently take field visits to plant or refinery-type facilities.
- Learn company and client policies and apply them to daily tasks.
- Display willingness and judgement to make decisions.
- Mentor junior designers and engineers, where possible.
- Coordination with the Project Engineer and Engineer Supervisor shall be required for ongoing project reporting and project development support.
Education & Experience
- Seven (7) to fifteen (15) or more years of cumulative relevant experience.
- Project Management or Lead Engineer experience a plus.
- An engineering degree from a four-year accredited university is required.
- Strong Controls /Electrical design skills.
- Good understanding of FMEA Tools, SPI. Applicants should be familiar with commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures used in Instrumentation and Electrical, as well as basic principles used in other engineering disciplines. Good written and verbal communication skills are a must.
- Project/discipline estimating support is a positive.
- Developing a scope and specify equipment.
- Providing process data for line list and instrument sizing.
- Developing cutover plans and P&ID’s.
- Generating documents including Cause and Effect Matrix.
- Creating I/O lists, Interlock Schedules, writing Control Systems Specifications.
- Experience in performing FAT, Equipment Inspections and Commissioning support.