Olson Engineering, a full-service, multi-discipline engineering company providing services to the petrochemical market, is seeking experienced, motivated, and highly technical Mechanical Engineer to join our team. Engineers should have at minimum 8 years of experience. Candidates should have a working knowledge of static and rotating equipment related to the petrochemical industry. Engineer must be familiar with Microsoft Office and other relevant software.
Responsibilities and Duties
Engineers are expected to:
- Serve as a member of cross-functional team to resolve, plan, and implement solutions to address static equipment problems. Work alongside TAR Planning team to prepare and implement TAR work for upcoming Turnarounds.
- Work with a multi-disciplined team to initiate, propose and oversee manufacture and development of Capital Projects. Work with mechanical contractors to follow through with mechanical completion of Capital Expenditure Projects on site.
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, or computer-generated reports.
- Confer with other engineers or other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, or provide technical information.
- Perform functions and duties in a manner that protects personal safety as well as the safety of all personnel on site.
- Promptly report all safety, health or environmental incidents or issues.
- Provide technical and field support to Operations and Maintenance departments for mechanical equipment.
- Recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Conduct research that tests or analyzes the feasibility, design, operation, or performance of equipment, components, or systems.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to operations and maintenance crews.
- Develop, coordinate, or monitor all aspects of production, including selection of manufacturing methods, fabrication, or operation of product designs.
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Assist in root cause failure analysis on critical equipment failures.
- Perform component failure analysis as required.
- Witness repairs to equipment and serve as a coordinator on critical equipment repairs as needed.
- Initiate capital projects to maintain/enhance business goals.
- Participate on capital project teams and provide assistance in development of specifications and supporting detail design efforts.
- Review project design packages for proper design regarding operability, reliability, and maintainability.
- Assist in the development and monitoring of the preventative maintenance program.
- Develop, review, and maintain equipment specifications as related to purchasing, installation, operation, and maintenance/repairs.
- Develop and implement alterations and revisions to equipment to improve business performance of the operating units.
- Provide various engineering reports as needed.
- Assists other Departments as necessary.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education, Experience, and/or Training
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering is required.
- Minimum of 8 years of engineering experience in the Chemical Industry field or equivalent.
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience working in an industrial manufacturing environment.
- Fertilizer manufacturing experience a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel required.
- Experience with SAP a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Requires working knowledge of relevant ASME and API codes.
- Certification in relevant ASME and API codes is a benefit.
- This individual shall possess a sound knowledge of fixed equipment as well as a knowledge of inspection activities/techniques.
- Knowledge of corrosion mechanisms and materials is desired.
- Ability to read and interpret P&IDs, isometric drawings, and Corrosion Control Diagrams.
- Experience in writing procedures.
- Demonstrated technical leadership related to fixed equipment.
- Knowledge of risk-based inspection software programs and best practices.
- Ability to use personal computer software for word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Be able to work independently (while still possessing good teamwork ability).
- Ability to gather and evaluate complex information.
- Ability to work and make decisions in a fast paced, high stress environment.
- Provide attention to detail and ability to produce results.
- Ability to interact with team members and meet strict deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.